Wednesday, October 7, 2009

No rest for the intensely excited and invigorated!


Wow, I remember a time when I was so good at keeping this blog up to date. Look at me now! I'm so ashamed. You, my fans, deserve so much better. And so, here is a series of great stories to satisfy this eleven day update hiatus I've put you through.

First of all, I finally have my own project at my internship. I'm going to stay tightlipped at the moment for confidentiality's sake, but one of these days I'll let you know all about it. I'll tell you that I'm watching a lot of films and doing a lot of research in putting this project together, so I'm almost endlessly busy. While this is quite exhausting, it feels great!

Monday and Tuesday on the lot were two very good days. For one, I got a lot of work done. Also, on Monday, I was eating lunch with Dave, who just happened to show up in the Commissary, and lo and behold, three very familiar faces were sitting at the table across from me. The first one I recognized was Jim Parsons, who I loved in Garden State for the small but hilarious role he played. Then I realized that the three of them were from Big Bang Theory. It was a cool celeb sighting. I got back from lunch, and I had a meeting request from Dan, my boss. It was for a meeting on Tuesday (the next day) with Terry Rossio!!! Now I will explain my exagerated use of the exclaimation point: while you may not know the name, you definitely know his work. Among others, he has penned all three Pirates of the Caribbean films, Shrek, National Treasure, and Aladin. And now you share my enthusiasm.

Tuesday was a quick but tiring day. For most of the morning I did a lot of research. When the afternoon rolled around, I was asked to deliver something to another building on the lot. As I walked through the Commissary, I saw the Big Band guys again, but this time all five were there. Must be some heavy shooting going on. I came back, settled into my office, and worked in anticipation of the meeting to come. When 4:30 rolled around, I heard my supervisor say, "Hello, Marc!" My heart skipped a beat. I recalled last Friday when my supervisor asked if I wanted to go to Marc Webb's house to give him tickets to a Dodger's game. I really wanted to, as Marc directed 500 Days of Summer, the last movie I saw before leaving Bristol and one which I happened to LOVE! However, it was way out of my way in Friday night traffic, so I let another intern take it. So here I was (back to Tuesday), wondering if it was really him. I was called into the office, and sure enough, it was indeed Marc Webb. I shook his hand, introduced myself, and managed to suavely hide the wave of excitement that pulsed through my body as I told my name to a director I admired for the very first time in my life. And then Terry came in. We all sat down, and Terry began telling us about screenplay structure. His advice was solid gold. I could see his experience from writing so many great films coming out. The meeting was fantastic. It'll definitely go down in the books as one of my most incredible experiences in being here.

I wish I could divulge more about what has been going on, but my mind is a blur beyond last Sunday. Oh, last Sunday was my birthday, which I celebrated by helping a friend shoot a video for a project. It was a good crew, and I really liked the actors he chose. Afterward, some people got wind that I was in fact turning 22 that very day, and I got the sense that they were scheming. At 8:30, everyone gathered at the hot tub for what was apparently a weekly ritual that I was unaware of. Afterward, we went up to a friend's apartment. I can't really say I was surprised, given how many people came with us who didn't even belong in that tower, but anyway, we go in, and there was a small party planned for me. There was even a Funfetti cake prepared for me with my name written in chocolate chips. Well, phonetically it was my name, but it was spelled "Andru" due to spacing issues. I loved it. It was a great birthday!

I have seen some great movies lately. First of all, "Zombieland". Kids, if you haven't gone yet, go. It's zombie comedy at its finest. I won't give anything away, but the writing is phenominal, and the entire theater I was in was constantly erupting with laughter, cheers, and rounds of applause for the characters. In the end was a standing ovation, which was something I had not yet seen in LA even in the most elitist of theaters.

Next, "Whip It!", Drew Barrymore's directing debut. While I'm not a fan of the way she directed some scenes, the material was solid and fun. I mean, how can a movie about a bunch of tough girls in roller derby not be fun? It was another great trip to the theater.

Well kids, I've got to get back into the pile of books that is my homework for tomorrow. The weekly academic grind begins again, but at least it ends just as abruptly in about 24 hours. I hope I won't keep you hanging so long next time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment