Friday, September 4, 2009

Classes and Internships

Well, we've finally started classes. I finally feel like I've got a few assignments to work on! I'm not gonna lie: I liked the time off. It's been great to see the city and all of its wondrous offerings. However, I'm here to learn, so I'm pretty psyched about what is to come. I've actually got a number of papers to work on, so I hope I don't forget about any of them!

My first screenwriting class was yesterday. I'm really excited about it. Our instructor, Kris Young, seems like he'll be a really good help in this process. The book we're reading has also been very helpful, so hopefully I can pen out something a bit more compelling than last springs amalgam of personal struggles and borrowed conversations. Maybe I learned something of myself from that screenplay, but its biggest lesson was that I can do better. I've got a great idea in the works, but I hope it won't require too much research on the first draft. I think I can put out the basic story, and then morph it into a form that gives more nods to the timeframe in which it takes place.

I had my internship interview today. First of all, a producer's office is pretty small. There were four people in the "receptionist" area, all at desks. I waiting around for about 15 minutes (I was early so as to be on time). Seanne Winslow is the name of the woman who interviewed me, and I really liked her. She reminded me of actress Elizabeth Banks. She seemed pretty impressed with what I had to say, so I was pretty hopeful for getting the job. She gave me positive feedback afterward and said she'd call in a couple hours. I wasn't sure how to take it, so I decided it was a good sign. Well, only an hour later (if that) she called back and said, "Welcome to the team!" I was very excited! Unfortunately, this meant my roommate Sean didn't get the job. I felt really bad about that. At the same time, picking Lin as my first choice was hard, so there are plenty of other good places out there, and I really believe he'll find a good one among them.

Today is my last day off before a long weekend of endless shooting. I'm trying to get on the ball with assignments and movie watching so that I'll not feel too pressured come class time next week. I think it'll be okay, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment