Tuesday, September 1, 2009

One Day. Four Beaches.


Today was more or less a day off for me, so what better way to spend a day off than exploring the coastal region of this new city I'll be living in for the next three months?

I started with Manhattan Beach. It was certainly a very nice and beautiful area. There were plenty of shops and nice restaurants, and the houses were some of the nicest of seen in terms of decoration. It had a great boardwalk, where I was able to do some longboarding. There was also a bike path that seemed to go a long way. The surf looked pretty sweet, too. The pier was very nice, with a sort of glorified snack stand at the end on a platform. I'll definitely be back there for another day trip.

Next, I went just up the coast to Dockweiler. The bike path continued on from Manhattan. There wasn't much to see or do there apart from strictly beach oriented things (no restaurants or stores). However, you can make fires on the beach, so it looked like a great place for parties and big get-togethers.

After a healthy lunch of XL Slurpee and two hot dogs, I set out on the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) toward Malibu. It was a very beautiful drive. I arrived at my third beach: Zuma. It was very scenic and looked like another good all around beach. It didn't have the convenience of facilities like Manhattan, but it wasn't barren like Dockweiler. I saw many dolphins there, and they did flips and tricks of all kinds. It was a very awesome sight.

My last beach was Leo Carrillo, on up the PCH. Of all the beaches, it was definitely my kind of beach. It had little pockets of small beaches cutting into a rocky coast, much like many of the beaches in Hawaii. The water wasn't the best for swimming on some of them, but the beaches definitely gave you a feeling that you were in your own special place by the ocean. I found an excellent rock there for sitting, thinking, and praying (all three of which I did). It's a bit of a drive, but definitely worth a return trip someday.

After all this, it was time for some fun away from the traffic. I turned onto Mulholland Highway. It looked scenic and seemed to be a fun road. It got even more fun when I saw the speed limit: 55! Keep in mind, this is a twisty turny road, much like the small mountain roads back home. Needless to say, I had some fun in my front wheel drive Mini. She hits the turns like she's on rails!

After my little break from the bustle, I was back in it on CA-101. The traffic was a real bummer, plus it was 105 out by Reseda, a full 20 degrees warmer than La Brea! I got back, bought some groceries, went for a swim, made a pizza, and now here I am, updating my blog over at the school. I'm about to have a friend read my screenplay. Here's hoping I hit the jackpot.

No comments:

Post a Comment