Sunday, September 6, 2009

Student films, John Williams, and... DAVID LIEBE HART?!


So my large coffee purchased for the sake of parking validation is kicking in, and now I can't sleep. Not good, because I'm helping Seth with his Motion Picture Production class film in 6 and a half hours. But caffeine is both addictive and potent a drug, so what can I do but blog?

The majority of today was spent as Audio Tech (i.e. boom operator) for Brandon's MPP project. It was a long shoot, but not overly hot or frustrating, so that is good. Plus, everyone I worked with was really professional and did their jobs well. I could see the experience that Justin and Brandon had working together. I hope Seth and I develop that cohesion tomorrow (I believe we will do so quickly). The actors were pretty talented. I'm anxious to see the finished product, because I have a feeling it's going to look very nice.

After the long shoot, we went to the Hollywood Bowl to see John Williams playing "The Music of the Movies." It had a really cool opener with a Harry Potter theme. This took up the entire first half, but it was really cool with a film accompaniment and everything (how can one not enjoy John Williams and the LA Phil, anyway?) After the intermission, he did a medley of film classics both of his musical authorship and others. He did some bits from Catch Me if You Can, Witches of Eastwick, and Casablanca. The last bit was the Superman March, which was pretty epic. It was a nod to WB heroes, which made me happy since they are in fact my new employer. After exiting the stage, he followed up with an encore of Yoda's Theme, the Star Wars Main Theme, the E.T. Theme, and the Imperial March. Very "suite" encore, indeed!

On my way out, luck and fate placed me in the presence of an unexpected muse. From a distance, I spied a man crooning with a raggedy dog puppet perched upon a trash can. Closer inspection revealed him to be none other than the legendary David Liebe Hart of Tim and Eric fame! I got an awesome photo with him and gave him a buck at his request. I was ecstatic!

On the drive home, Luke revealed to me that last Sunday we were eating lunch across from Buster from Arrested Development. WHAT?!! Why didn't anyone tell me? I was quite disappointed for having missed the sighting, but he is apparently a deacon at my church out here, so I'll be keeping an eye out for him on future Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment