Saturday, September 26, 2009

Lost, but not forgotten

Wow! I can't believe so much time has passed since my last update! Two weeks? It just flew by!

Needless to say, I've been very busy. As far as free time goes, this is the least I've had since I started college, I am sure, except for maybe one of my Humanities semesters. That said, I'm loving every second, because my days are filled with experiences that are helping further define me as a person, as Christian, and an aspiring filmmaker. So let me go ahead and post the disclaimer that if this blog goes another two weeks untouched, it's because I'm having so many great experiences that I have no time to post about them.

My internship has been great! Pace has been building over the past few weeks. I've been getting a better feel for the company I work for, and now I feel really comfortable there. Today I got my first big project! I'm really excited, because it's kind of a thing I just decided to pick up and run with. I'd tell you more, but you know, confidentiality and all that. It's why I can't tell you most of the amazing things I get to do at Lin Pictures. Here's one I can tell you about, though: last tuesday, I was walking across the lot toward the parking garage, and I noticed a lot of commotion by the Commissary. I decided to check it out. I rounded a corner, and before my sat the most amazing vehicle I've ever seen: the Tumbler. You know, that really awesome new Batmobile from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight? I don't know if it can really transform into a motorcycle, but I don't care. It's every bit as impressive in real life as in the movie, perhaps even more so because you realize that this thing is real. Honestly, it was like seeing an X-wing Fighter right in front of me (Star Wars, fyi). Okay, so maybe not that cool, but closer to that than I would have thought initially.

I'm really getting cooking on my screenplay for class, which is good. I haven't started writing yet or anything, but the story itself is developing. I'm getting to know my characters, getting a good feel for how I want my plot points to play out, and I know exactly how I want to end it. I've got a really epic third act in mind, but it requires a good set-up in the second act, which is now my challenge. I haven't really said much about it on here, so here is a short and sweet synopsis: A man starts dreaming about dying, comes to realize he is part human and part Guardian Angel, goes around saving people, realizes there are demons trying to take over the city, and sets out to save it. Does it sound like Constantine? Maybe so. But I plan to make my story better than Constantine, so don't throw the rotten tomatoes yet, please.

Here's a few great movies I've seen lately:
Chinatown - read the screenplay and LOVED it, and Jack Nicholson gives another solid performance as Gittes in this noirish '70's classic.
Garden State - a movie people love to hate, but I loved it, partly due to the phenomenal soundtrack. However, it's deeper than that: despite an somewhat existential worldview. I really connected to the characters. In a way, I felt like I had walked in the shoes of both Braff and Portman's characters. The ending, when "Let Go" by Frou Frou comes in, is burned into my memory like those red spots on your retinas when you look into the sun.
Swimming with Sharks - a lot of my peers hated it, but I like it. It wasn't really finessed, but it hit some solid points and really made me think. If it makes me think, then the film succeeded, at least in my book.
The Orphanage - one of the greatest horror films I've seen, chiefly because it doesn't approach the genre as an end in itself, but rather uses it to convey meaningful message of hope. I was delighted by the ending in many ways.

Okay, so it's super late on a Friday and I'm wired from the coffee I drank to keep me up through Solaris. Problem is, that movie is so slow paced that even coffee didn't help. I'll just have to finish it tomorrow. I just hope I can get to sleep now :/

1 comment: